What are Modafinil 100mg?
Modafinil 100mg belong to a group of medicines called ‘stimulants‘ used to improve wakefulness in adult patients with narcolepsy (excessive and uncontrollable daytime sleepiness). Narcolepsy is a medical condition in which a person faces excessive daytime sleepiness and face sleep attacks that make a person fall asleep suddenly in inappropriate situations.
modafinil 100mg contain ‘Modafinil’ which is responsible for improving narcolepsy and reducing the symptoms of the possibility of sleep attacks. It works by enhancing the amount of a chemical messenger known as ‘dopamine’ in the brain which controls the sleep-wake cycle of our body. It reduces the reuptake of dopamine in nerves. Dopamine is a chemical neurotransmitter that is used by nerves for communication purposes.
modafinil 100mg should be taken with or without one glass of water. modafinil 100mg tablets are usually advised each morning to prevent sleepiness during daytime, or 1 hour before the beginning of work or as suggested by the doctors. For better advice, one should consult with their doctor as they will decide what the best dose is for you after checking your condition. You may experience unpleasant effects of modafinil 100mg tablets that include headache, diarrhea, back pain, feeling anxious, nausea, trouble sleeping, feeling nervous, dizziness, stuffy nose, and upset stomach. However, consult with your doctor if the symptoms continue for more than days or become severe, then seek medical attention immediately.
The use of modafinil 100mg is not allowed in persons who are allergic to any of its constituents present in it, so tell your doctor before taking this medicine. This medicine cannot be used in children below 18 years of age. A woman who is pregnant or thinking to be pregnant or breastfeeding or planning to be pregnant is not allowed to take this medicine so tell your doctor before taking the medicine. Tell your doctor if you had heart problems or high blood pressure or depression, low mood, anxiety, or psychosis, before taking this medicine.
What are the Uses of Modafinil 100mg Tablets?
Modafinil 100 mg targets the nervous system that disrupts excessive sleepiness during the daytime and makes a person stay awake in suddenly inappropriate situations (sleep attacks). A person dealing with narcolepsy can face symptoms like falling asleep in mid of a conversation, sleep paralysis (feeling paralyzed during sleep), hypnogogic hallucinations (hallucinations before you fall asleep), and hypnopompic hallucinations (hallucinations occurring in the middle of the night).
Modafinil 100mg belong to the category of stimulants indicated to improve wakefulness in persons who feel very sleepy due to narcolepsy. It works by increasing the amount of a chemical known as dopamine in the brain by reducing the reabsorption of dopamine into nerves. Dopamine is a chemical neurotransmitter that is used by nerves to send signals for communication purposes. In this way, it helps a person to stay awake during their office hours or for performing normal activities of the day and to have a normal sleep routine.
Directions for Use
Take Modafinil 100mg tablets with or without food. If modafinil 100mg tablets are taken with food, it may take longer to work. If you are taking modafinil 100mg tablets for shift work sleep problems, it is advisable to take it 1 hour before the start of work. If you are taking modafinil 100mg tablets for narcolepsy (excessive sleepiness) and sleep apnea (lack of sleep due to breathing problems) try to take modafinil 100mg tablets in the morning itself.
Store in a cool and dry place away from sunlight
Side Effects of Modafinil 100mg Tablets
Like other drugs, Modafinil 100mg tablets may cause some unpleasant effects, however, some of its undesirable effects do not require medical attention. The most common side effects include
- Back pain
- Feeling anxious
- Trouble sleeping
- Feeling nervous
- Stuffy nose
- Upset stomach.
Report to your doctor, if you notice any severe side effects of the medicine.
What are the Interactions of Modafinil 100mg?
Drug-Drug interaction: Modafinil 100mg tablets can interact with hormonal contraceptive pills, antacids (omeprazole), anti-epilepsy medications (carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin), anti-depressants (amitriptyline, citalopram), anxiety disorder drugs (diazepam), blood pressure-lowering pills (amlodipine, verapamil).
Drug-Food interaction: A person taking Modafinil 100mg tablets should avoid taking grapefruit juice and grapefruit which increases the actions or side effects of this medicine.
Drug-Disease interaction: To make sure this medicine is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have angina (chest pain), cirrhosis or other liver problem, kidney disease, high blood pressure, heart disease, or history of heart attack, a history of mental illness or psychosis, history of alcoholism or drug addiction
In-Depth Precautions and Warning
- A person should avoid consuming alcohol while taking this medicine as alcohol can worsen the side effects of the medication.
- A woman who is pregnant should contact a doctor before using Modafinil 100mg. modafinil 100mg tablets are suspected of causing congenital disabilities in the unborn baby.
- A woman who is breastfeeding should avoid taking Modafinil 100mg tablets as it is suspected to pass into breast milk and can affect the baby. Consult a doctor before using modafinil 100mg tablets.
- Modafinil 100mg tablets may cause blurred vision or dizziness so while using this medication a person should not attempt to drive or operate machinery
- Modafinil 100mg tablets should only be given to patients dealing with liver disorders if strictly suggested by the doctor. Thus, one should tell their doctor if the history of liver disease as their doctor will reduce the dose.
- modafinil 100mg tablets should only be given to patients dealing with kidney disorders if strictly suggested by the doctor. Thus, one should tell their doctor if the history of kidney disease as their doctor will reduce the dose.
It may be depending on the frequency of the dosage.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Avoid heavy meals that are high in carbohydrates, so include nutritious food in your diet.
- Try to make a regular bedtime and close your light to make the room dark which helps you to sleep better.
- Try to avoid heavy meals before bed as it will reduce the chances of acidity, and the person can sleep well.
- Try to take strategic naps throughout the day, which will make you feel refreshed and productive.
- Try to avoid sitting for long periods, which increases the chance of sleepiness so stand up and go outside at regular intervals.
- Certain diagnostic tests that can help in diagnosing narcolepsy are the polysomnogram (PSG) and the multiple sleep latency tests (MSLT).
- modafinil 100mg tablets should not be used in children less than 17 years of age.
- Waking-effect producing tablets can affect your judgment and reaction time, so do not drive a motor vehicle, do hazardous tasks, or operate any heavy machinery after taking modafinil 100mg tablets.
- Modafinil 100mg tablets are usually prescribed for only 12 weeks. However, if still, your symptoms do not improve, then consult a doctor.
- Using CPAP can help you to cope with sleep apnoea problems (breathing trouble affecting sleep).